What is Responsible Care®?
Responsible Care® is the chemical industry’s unique global initiative that drives continuous improvement in safety, health and environmental (SHE) performance. It is helping the chemical industry to contribute to sustainable development while allowing us to meet the world’s growing need for essential chemicals and the products those chemicals make possible. The Responsible Care® initiative is committed to open and transparent communication with all stakeholders.
Who is involved?
The International Council of Chemical Associations (ICCA) is the worldwide voice of the chemical industry, representing manufacturers and producers all over the world. Through the participation of over 50 national chemical manufacturing associations – and through them, thousands of chemical sites around the world – Responsible Care® forms an essential part of ICCA’s contribution to the United Nations’ Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM)
How can it help on a practical basis?
The network continues to expand, which helps to improve the way we share safety, health and environmental information as well as the way we employ increasingly rigorous system, checklists, performance indicators and verification procedures. In addition, Responsible Care® outreach spans a vast range of activities from cooperative, performance-based initiatives with government agencies to community projects such as development of wildlife habitats and tailored programs for schools.
Our approach to Responsible Care®
Lucite International is committed to implementing Responsible Care® as broadly as possible and has the following priorities:
- Protecting the safety and health of our people and the environment is our prime focus. We work continually to understand all potential risks and implement effective systems and processes to manage and mitigate those risks.
- Supporting a culture where all our employees take personal responsibility for safe operation and consideration of the environment.
- We take all public concerns regarding chemical products and our Company’s activities seriously and will deal with any such concerns promptly and effectively.
- We proactively manage our operations to minimise all potential risks in manufacture, storage, transportation, distribution, use and disposal of our products.
- We inform customers fully about the safe transport, use and disposal of our products.
- We aim to constantly widen our understanding of the potential impact of our products, processes and waste on humans and the environment.
- We collaborate in the creation of best practice-oriented, effective regulations, laws, directives and standards.
- We actively promote the principles of Responsible Care® through open interaction with all of our stakeholders.